Sunday, October 12, 2008

Build! Build! Build! Stony Creek CX






Well that may not work for the economy right now, but my training plan is going well. Stony Creek CX was another training day for me in my build up to (I hope) peak performance in a few weeks. But come on, it is still a cyclocross race, and I was feeling good.

Stony over the last 2 seasons had been one of the more tame courses in the Tailwind Series. But not this year. This thing was a maze! Very hard to get speed. Robert threw in a nice log climb to get you off the bike. The entire beach was used for a hike-a-bike for about 200 yrds. The little sand box was used and there was an uphill climb for the barriers. But for some reason and I still can't figure it out, the more it hurts the more fun I have! Overall I was very pleased. I hit my goal of a top 5 position with 4th (even though I was robbed of my bling. Top 3 only... Come on!) But it is still on paper. In terms of my training, my laps were rock solid and consistent the 1st 2 laps were the exact same time and the 3rd was a few seconds faster. So I am almost where I want to be.

As for the rest of the day. A few highlights. My team mates were out in full force with 4 Team Sandbagers racing! The new kid Todd Law (now called T3) came out and rocked the field in his first ever CX race and put up a 2nd place! WOW. When Todd ran past me through the sand and remounted his bike, it looked like the kid had been racing cross for 20 years. Way to go and way to represent the team. Benny Miller finished well with a 7th Not bad considering he has not been on his bike all year and was competing in a field of 27 racers. And to round out the TSB crew, Jason Schneider finished solid with 23rd in his first CX race of the year.

And then there is my "apprentice" the OX! Jasooooon Melecccooossskkky taking 1st place in his second CX race ever. Man he is strong as hell. I can't believe the amount of power he generates in his pedal stroke. But look out kid, no more pointers. But hey hell of a job...

4 comments:

Aryn Pongratz said...

I like that the picture you posted of yourself that shows you in front of Ox and T3....I would have done the same thing. Seriously, had a great time watching you guys race and I am going to try and get out this weekend to see you all again.

Todd Shorkey said...

Great job John! Glad to hear that your training is where you want it to be. All of your competitors are probably not.....

Jason Melecosky said...

Glad to hear your training is going as planned John. You did have some consistant lap times out there. More so than anyone else in our class. Keep it bud! Good luck at the upcomming races. The rest of my season is currently up in the air. I'm sure I'll see you around before the year ends.

- Jason

TP said...

Ahh, the TSB boys in full force!