In addition to time on the bike indoors, I plan on doing a few single speed rides in the snow and then training almost exclusively on the single speed outside as race season draws near. Then there is "my secret weapon", running stairs. This is great for cardio and leg strength! I think this is one of the keys for my success this year in MTB and then again and especially CX racing. As the CX season started, I could not catch my breath or maintain or control my heart rate. The stairs helped accomplish this. And as 2008 approaches, your legs might be strong from the trainer, but if your cardio isn't there, then your legs wont matter much. As I get into my training mode, I am sure I will have to make tweaks along the way. Especially if I want to perform at a higher level than last year. So to help with all that, I have begun to do some research to help maximize my efforts.
As for my goals this is my first cut at it for 2008. I may change or add more later. But this is what I am feeling right now! CD
- Be at 170 lbs on race day April, 13 Pontiac Lake TT
- Race the entire USAC XC MTB series and take 1st overall and or move up to expert if I take top 2 in the first 3 races (Sport Men 30-34)
- Race only 3 Tailwind TT races and try to finish top 3 overall (Sport Men 30-34) and (Sport /beg Single speed)
- Race the entire USAC Cyclocross series and take 1st overall in 30-39 C-men and or move up to B-men if I take top 2 in the first 3 races.
- Finish the ICEMAN in 1:50 mins.
- Help TSB win the USAC team award!